Look at my other post's by searching here

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Grand Jeté Tips!!

Grand Jeté's is one of my most favourite steps. Why? Because it just makes you want to say "WOW!" and motivate you to want to do it. Unfortunately for me I am not a very good jumper, so Grand Jeté's
aren't really a 'stroll in the park' for me, it's more like 'chasing after your dog in the park' kind of thing for me. Now, I am trying my best to make my Grand Jeté something that makes everyone want to say "WOW!" and clap for me. Although I still have a long way to go until that happens, here are a few tips that helped me, a not so good jumper improve.

Svetlana Zakharova
Tip #1- Stretch.
Again, like the plié tip you need to stretch. For Grand Jeté's you want to stretch your front splits on both sides unlike the plié one. Either way you should stretch all three sides to make your overall performance better. Anyways, stretching helps your Grand Jeté open more and if you have your floor spit then you can do about a 180 degree Grand Jeté. If doing a split on the floor is too easy for you, work on your over split. Remember to challenge yoursellf though. Stretching hurts but in return of that pain  you will earn to lift your leg higher and get a better Grand Jeté, like Nike says, "No Pain, No Gain" right? It may even  help your Grand Jeté look like Svetlana Zakharova's.
^^Imagine This^^

Tip #2- One of the most helpful tip that I learned is to imagine one person standing infront of you and pulling your front like while the other person pulls your back leg. This will help you get your split in the air (At least it did for me.) Try not to focus too much on the height of your jump because as you keep practicing that should naturally come. By aiming for your split in the air first your Grand Jeté will already have that "WOW!" factor so all you really need to do from there is to get the height and maybe work on getting your over split in the air. One more thing, remember that when you jump you aren't going to be able to get to your full flexibility. Meaning that for example, if you can do a 180 degree split on the floor, when you jump it won't necessarily be 180 degrees.

Tip #3- Preparation.
When you are doing your preparation into your Grand Jeté take a deep plié but not a grand plié. You need to have a good plié to give yourself enough momentum to push off into your Grand Jeté.

Tip #4- Practice.
You know that saying, "practice makes perfect"? Well although you may not believe in it and I don't believe in anything to be perfect either but practicing will definitely make better. By practicing your muscles will begin to remember what it is supposed to do and what it is you want your body to do. Your brain controls what your body does so always imagine a "perfect" Grand Jeté so that your brain will tell your body what you want to do.

Over split
Good Luck with your Grand Jeté's and I hope these tips help you. Comment below if you are a good jumper or a not so good one like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment